Marking your calendar is important to make sure you do not forget anything of the key dates!
- Filling deadline
- Candidate filing period is Wednesday, April 8, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM,Thursday, April 9, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM and Friday, April 10, 8:00 AM – 5:00 PM by going to your county election board.
- Campaign Kickoff
- Throw a party! A campaign kickoff is crucial in getting the word out that you are running and it will help you raise some fund and get volunteers.
- The Election
- Election day! If you have a primary opponent the primary will be sooner but the general election is on November 3rd for most seats but make sure to check your election days. You can find all the elections date for Oklahoma here.
Below is key information you will need to file for office:
- Make sure you meet any district residency or other requirements to run for office. Requirements are here.
How to file?
For State and Federal office, you must complete a declaration of candidacy with the Oklahoma State Election board. Given the crisis, they are encourage people to mail their forms and filing fees. Filing forms are located here and mailing instructions are here.
OKLAHOMA STATE ELECTION BOARD
2300 N Lincoln Blvd, Room G28
State Capitol Building
Oklahoma City, OK 73105
PO Box 53156
Oklahoma City, OK 73152
- Candidates for county offices file Declarations of Candidacy with the Secretary of the County Election Board, in the county of their residence.
- Candidates for City Council office file Declaration of Candidacy at City Hall.
- For State and Federal office, you must complete a declaration of candidacy with the Oklahoma State Election board. Given the crisis, they are encourage people to mail their forms and filing fees. Filing forms are located here and mailing instructions are here.
- When filing you need to pay the filing fee that will correspond to the seat.
|Governor of Oklahoma||$2,000|
|United States Senator||$2,000|
|United States Representative
State Auditor and Inspector
Superintendent of Public Instruction
Commissioner of Insurance
Commissioner of Labor
District Judge or Associate District Judge
- Ethics fillings
- Candidates must file a Statement of Organization with the Ethics Commission within 10 days of raising or expending in excess of $1,000.00. Once registered candidate committees will file periodic reports detailing contributions accepted and expenditures made electronically in The Guardian system.
|Reports Due Between||Period Covered||Type of Report Due|
|April 1-April 30 2020||January 1 – March 31, 2020||1st Quarter Contributions and Expenditures|
|July 1 – July 31, 2020||April 1 – June 30, 20202||2nd Quarter Contributions and Expenditures|
|October 1 – October 31, 2020||July 1 – September 30, 2020||3rd Quarter Contributions and Expenditures|
|January 1 – January 31, 2020||October 1 – December 31, 2020||4th Quarter Contributions and Expenditures|
Data will play a key role in a race its not only about who knocks the most doors but who knocks the most of the right doors or where we are now who calls the most of the correct numbers.
- Voter File
- A voter file is where you keep all your data and access all the data you need for voters. Knowing how to properly manage data is crucial to win. With access to a voter database you get can look at voters' files so you can cut turfs, make phone banks and manage volunteers.
- Democratic candidates can acquire access to the voter file from their state party.
- State Democratic Party
- Located: 3700 N Classen Blvd, Oklahoma City, OK 73118